Saturday, August 15, 2015

Superhero STEM!

My First Experience With STEM:

I attended a "STEM" training February of 2015. Although the presentation was poor, and didn't fully encapsulate what "STEM" had potential to do in the classroom, I was thrilled about it! So I began my exploration of STEM.

I had to do quite a bit of research myself, before understanding what it was all about. But once the light bulb went off, I was in brainstorm heaven! I love getting a new idea to play around with.

So I began with the question all teachers first think of... how can I make this fit into my curriculum? It was easy! Incorporate literacy into the STEM projects! It was as easy as that! And what kind of literacy are all children interested in? Fairy tales! Click on the link below to check out the fairy tales that I've created for K-3rd students.

TeachersPayTeachers Fairytale Bundle: 
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/STEM-Bundle-FairyTales-1837962

Blog Post:
http://mrsjduerr.blogspot.jp/2015_04_01_archive.html


How Superhero STEM Began...

After creating those K-3rd projects, I began to consider what if I taught older students? Fairy tales aren't so appealing to 3rd and above. So with that, I began to explore further.

It came to me when I was watching one of my favorite movies, "The Dark Knight". Everyone loves a good superhero. All over the internet, I began to explore what was out there for superhero STEM. I found countless ideas on how to incorporate superheros into the classroom, but nothing on STEM. Was this a problem? Absolutely not, if anything it was a journey I was more than excited to quest upon.

The ideas flooded my brain and I got right to work. Marvel was the first thought, but then it just continued to evolve into all Superheros. There were just too many ideas to keep it inside of the box.

Here is the bundle I created!


 

I've also posted one of the Superhero STEM products for free! To download your free STEM product, click here!


No comments:

Post a Comment